Remembering Beit Hanoun (by Sameh A. Habeeb)


“”” In November 2006 a horrible war crime was committed in the Gaza Strip by the Israeli army. The operation was not directed at militants who were heading to fight Israel, but at a poor family. This action was committed by the same Israeli army which bulldozed Palestinian farms and crushed cars and houses.

I remember every single detail of what happened that day in Beit Hanoun. I want to tell the story again as I am encouraged, but not satisfied by what Archbishop Desmond Tutu said after his investigative visit to Gaza. Although he was too late to investigate the massacre that occurred two years before, it was better than nothing. Tutu indirectly indicted Israel and held it responsible for the death of civilians.

The investigation helped me to remember what I witnessed that day. I went there quickly and I saw a slaughter. Blood was on walls, adjacent houses, the street and all around. The smell of Israel’s spent artillery shells mixed with the blood and burned flesh of children and old people. Women, men, old people and children were lamenting and weeping. Around 18 civilians were killed that day in addition to injuring many others. Those who remained alive either lost limbs or suffered other severe injuries.

I had to revive this horrific account again because so many people have not heard of it, nor were they correctly informed of the slaughter. The following is the testimony I wrote two days after I witnessed the massacre’s aftermath.

Accounts and witnesses

We entered the street; house number 71 has a sad story as well as all other houses in the area. It is the house of Bassem al-Kafarnah. He was killed at his own doorstep while calling for an ambulance for the injured who were scattered all over the street. Bassem is the father of five little girls; the eldest of them is seven years old and the mother is about to give birth to her sixth baby. We are not sure that when she delivers her baby she can also unburden her sadness and wounds from the loss of her husband, who left her alone; a prayer for her pains and fears over her six weak children who rely on God and then her for support.


An artillery shell destroyed the entrance of the house. It broke the inner walls, killing Bassem and buried his children’s dreams. The scene ended here, or maybe it just began; five children who did not yet realize the true meaning of life, but gulped the bitterness of death and lived it with every tiny detail and lineament.

The next house belongs to Mrs. Nema al-Athamnah. She was killed with her daughter Sana and daughter-in-law, Nehad. Nema and Sana were both widows and they were the only remaining hope for their children, who are now orphans. Now that hope is buried with the two mothers. Nehad and her four children were all injured, three of them are still hospitalized after losing their limbs.

Mrs. al-Athamnah’s daughter Umaya was also injured. She lost a leg and the other was smashed while her hand was broken and she is undergoing treatment in Egypt. Her husband, Sameer, was killed. Their daughter Malak, or angel, was injured by flying debris and shrapnel which scarred her lovely face.

Umaya’s brother, Iyad, has injuries to both his legs and he may never be able to walk again. His wife Inas is still hospitalized and is recovering from her wounds and burns. Their son Ahmad has a critical head injury, may God save him.


A group of women gathered around me. Each of them is trying to tell her piece of the story. Nisreen, Nema’s daughter, explained that “My mother, Manal, and Fatima Masoud, the three of them turned to piles of burnt and torn flesh. We collected what was left of them from the walls, doors and trees, and then put them in buckets carrying their names. We recognized them from pieces of their clothes which were stuck to their burned flesh.”

We moved to the next house, expecting different stories, but they sounded similar. The only difference was the amount of death. A sandy path separates the houses of the brothers Saad and Masoud al-Athamnah from that of their cousin. Nine shells hit the house. Yes, nine.

The first shell struck the house between the second and third floors, leaving three generations of one family a mixture of burnt flesh and crushed bones. The victims were: the grandmother, Fatima al-Athamnah, 78 years old, her son Masoud, 52 years old, Masoud’s son Samir Masoud, 23 years old, his daughter Fatima, 18 years old, and his second wife Sabah, 40 years old. They were living a simple life, but the last moments were catastrophic. They didn’t die peacefully; they screamed, and called for help, and tried to escape the savage weapon, which pursued them until it pulled their souls away ruthlessly. It turned them into pieces and deprived them of any peace in their last moments.

When the rest of the neighborhood’s 30 residents heard the explosion of the first shell, they rushed to the street, that sandy path, and there a new chapter of the tragedy occurred. The shell hit the wall of the second floor and exploded into burning shrapnel, blazing iron polluted with radiant substances dissolved the flesh. The second shell killed the sons of Saad and Hayat al-Athamnah: Muhammad, 16 years old, Mahdi, 17 years old, and Arafat, 18 years old.

Hayat al-Athamnah stoically told the story of of her departed children:

I saw Mahdi, his head was wide open and I could see his brain lying to his side. I called him, but received no answer, so I said, may God rest your soul. I then saw my son, Muhammad. His body was burned out and deformed and I called him, but only silence answered me, so I said, “May God rest your soul.”

I ran out from the shelling to a nearby alley; there I found my son Arafat. The lower half of his body was completely ruptured and his guts were dangling on the ground. I said Arafat, my baby, sweetheart, go with your brothers, they have all left, he pulled his head up and looked at himself then he started collecting his flesh and put it on what remained of his abdomen.

Yes, he was alive and looking at me. He then passed away in the hospital.


The shelling continued. Another shell hit the balcony of the fourth-floor room where Hayat’s grandson Mahmoud Majdi al-Athamnah, 12 years old, was sleeping, killing him. Another one smashed through the roof, killing Mahmoud’s cousin Ahmad, 10 years old.

Another shell, and then another. Each time with new victims: Manal, the wife of Ramiz Masoud, 26 years old, killed with her two daughters, Maysa, nine months old, and Maram, three years old. Their brother Abdullah lost his left hand and is still hospitalized. Hayat al-Athamnah explained that “We found the head of Maram at the entrance of the path and the body was at the other end.”

Mohammed al-Athamnah, the cousin of Saad and Masoud al-Athamnah, had rushed to the scene to call for an ambulance. Instead, they carried his dead body away and those of the five children.


Hayat al-Athamnah listed the injuries while her husband and their son, Abdul Mohaymen, were in an Egyptian hospital in critical condition. Injured in the back and neck, they have many wounds from shrapnel. The hand of her grandson Muhammad was severed and remained on the ground of the horrible sandy path long before somebody took it away. She said that “I saw the hand of Muhammad on the floor. I recognized it from his watch, which was warped around it; it was also carrying a mobile phone and a hand bag.”

Sameh A. Habeeb is a photojournalist, humanitarian and peace

activist based in Gaza, Palestine. He writes for several news websites on a freelance basis. “””



“”” În noiembrie 2006 o oribilă crimă de război a fost comisă în Fâşia Gaza de către armata israeliană. Operaţiunea nu a fost îndreptată către militanţii care porniseră să lupte împotriva Israelului, ci spre o săracă familie. Această acţiune a fost comisă de către aceeaşi armată israeliană care a demolat ferme palestiniene şi a zdrobit maşini şi case.

Îmi aduc aminte fiecare detaliu care a avut loc în aceea zi în Beit Hanoun. Vreau să spun din nou povestea fiind încurajat, dar nu mulţumit, de ceea ce arhiepiscopul Desmond Tutu a avut de zis după vizita investigatoare din Gaza. Deşi a fost prea târziu să se investigheze un masacru care a avut loc cu doi ani înainte tot e mai bine decât nimic. Tutu a acuzat în mod indirect Israelul şi a ţinut-o răspunzătoare de moartea civililor.

Investigaţia m-a ajutat să-mi aduc aminte la ce am fost martor în acea zi. M-am dus rapid acolo şi am văzut un măcel. Sânge era pe pereţi, pe casele învecinate, pe stradă şi peste tot împrejur. Mirosul obuzelor consumate de Israel s-a amestecat cu sângele şi carnea arsă a copiilor şi a bătrânilor. Femei, bărbaţi, oameni în vârstă şi copii se văitau şi plângeau. În acea zi, pe lângă rănirea multor altora, au fost ucişi în jur de 18 civili. Cei care au rămas în viaţă fie şi-au pierdut membrele fie au suferit alte răni grave.

A trebuit să reînviu acest act abominal deoarece foarte mulţi oameni nu au auzit de el nici nu au fost corect informaţi despre măcel. Următoarele reprezintă mărturia pe care am scris-o la două zile după ce am fost martor la consecinţele masacrului.

Descrieri şi martori

Am intrat pe stradă; casa cu numărul 71 are o poveste tristă la fel ca şi toate celelalte case din zonă. Este casa lui Bassem al-Kafarnah. A fost ucis pe propriul prag în timp ce suna după o ambulanţă pentru răniţii care erau împrăştiaţi pe toată stradă. Bassem este tatăl a cinci fetiţe; cea mai mare dintre ele are şapte ani iar mama este pe cale de a naşte a şasea fetiţă. Nu suntem siguri că atunci când va da naştere bebeluşului ei va putea de asemenea să se descarce de tristeţea şi rănile provocate de pierderea soţului său care a lăsat-o singură; o rugăciune pentru durerile şi temerile ei, pentru cei şase copii ai săi lipsiţi de putere care se bazează pe Dumnezeu şi apoi pe ea pentru ajutor.

Un obuz a distrus intrarea casei. A spart pereţii interiori ucigându-l pe Bassem şi îngropând visurile copiilor săi. Scena s-a terminat aici sau poate doar a început; cinci copii care încă nu au realizat adevăratul înţeles al vieţii dar care au luat dintr-o înghiţitură amărăciunea morţii şi au trăit-o în cele mai minuscule detalii şi trăsături.

Următoarea casă aparţine dnei. Nema al-Athamnah. A fost ucisă împreună cu fiica sa Sana şi nora Nehad. Nema şi Sana erau amândouă văduve şi erau singura speranţă rămasă pentru copiii lor, care acum sunt orfani. Acum şi această speranţă este îngropată împreuna cu cele două mame. Nehad şi cei patru copii ai ei au fost răniţi, trei dintre ei sunt încă spitalizaţi după ce şi-au pierdut membrele.

Fiica dnei. al-Athamnah, Umaya, este şi ea rănită. Şi-a pierdut un picior iar celălalt a fost strivit în timp ce mâna îi era ruptă şi acum este supusă unor tratamente în Egipt. Soţul său, Sameer, a fost ucis. Fiica lor Malak, sau înger, a fost rănită de dărâmăturile şi şrapnelul care zburau şi i-au tăiat faţa ei minunată.

Fratele Umayei, Iyad, are răni la ambele picioare şi s-ar putea să nu mai meargă vreodată. Soţia sa, Inas, este încă spitalizată şi se recuperează după rănile şi arsurile suferite. Fiul lor, Ahmad, are o rană critică la cap, fie ca Dumnezeu să-l salveze.

Un grup de femei s-a strâns în jurul meu. Fiecare dintre ele încearcă să-şi spună bucata de poveste. Nisreen, fiica Nemei, explică cum „Mama mea, Manal şi Fatima Masoud, toate trei, s-au transformat în mormane de carne sfâşiată şi arsă. Am adunat ce a mai rămas din ele de pe pereţi, uşi şi copaci iar apoi le-am pus în găleţile care aveau numele lor. Le-am recunoscut după bucăţile de haine care s-au lipit de carnea lor arsă.”

Am trecut la următoarea casă aşteptându-ne la poveşti diferite, dar sunau la fel. Singura diferenţă era totalul morţilor. O cărare nisipoasă desparte casele fraţilor Saad şi Masoud al-Athamnah de cea a vărului lor. Nouă obuze au lovit casa. Da, nouă.

Primul obuz a lovit casa între al doilea şi al treilea nivel, lăsând trei generaţii a aceleiaşi familii într-o amestecare de carne arsă şi oase strivite. Victimele erau: bunicul, Fatima al-Athamnah de 78 de ani, fiul ei Masoud de 52 de ani, fiul lui Masoud, Samir Masoud, de 23 de ani, fiica lui Fatima de 18 ani şi a doua lui soţie, Sabah, de 40 de ani. Duceau o viaţă simplă dar ultimele clipe au fost catastrofice. Nu au murit în pace; au ţipat şi au cerut ajutor şi au încercat să scape de cumplita armă care i-a urmărit până când le-a smuls sufletele cu cruzime. I-a transformat în bucăţi şi i-a privat de orice fel de linişte în ultimele clipe.

Când restul cartierului, 30 de rezidenţi, au auzit explozia primului obuz s-au grăbit în stradă, acea cărare nisipoasă, iar acolo a avut loc alt capitol al tragediei. Obuzul a lovit zidul de la al doilea etaj care a explodat în şrapnel care ardea, metalul în flăcări îmbibat cu substanţe iradiante a dizolvat carnea. Al doilea obuz i-a ucis pe fii lui Saad şi Hayat al-Athamnah: Muhammad de 16 ani, Mahdi de 17 ani şi Arafat de 18 ani.

Hayat al-Athamnah a spus cu stoicism povestea copiilor săi morţi:

L-am văzut pe Mahdi, capul său era larg deschis şi puteam să-i văd creierul stând într-o parte. L-am strigat, dar nu am primit nici un răspuns, aşa că am zis „fie ca Dumnezeu să-ţi odihnească sufletul”. Apoi l-am văzut pe fiul meu Muhammad. Trupul lui era ars tot şi deformat şi l-am strigat, dar numai tăcerea mi-a răspuns, aşa că am zis: „fie ca Dumnezeu să-ţi odihnească sufletul.”
Am fugit dintre ruine într-o alee alăturată; acolo l-am găsit pe fiul meu Arafat. Partea inferioară a trupului îi era complet perforată şi maţele îi atârnau pe pământ. Am spus „Arafat, copilul meu, scumpule, du-te cu fraţii tăi, au plecat cu toţii”, şi-a ridicat capul şi s-a uitat la el apoi a început să-şi adune carnea şi să o pună pe ce-i mai rămăsese din abdomen.
Da, era în viaţă şi se uita la mine. Apoi a murit la spital.

Bombardamentele au continuat. Alt obuz a lovit balconul camerei de la etajul patru unde dormea nepotul lui Hayat, Mahmoud Majdi al-Athamnah, de 12 ani, omorându-l. Altul a zdrobit acoperişul omorând vărul lui Mahmoud, Ahman, în vârstă de 10 ani.

Alt obuz, apoi altul. De fiecare dată alte victime: Manal, soţia lui Ramiz Masoud, 26 de ani, a fost ucisă împreună cu cele două fiice ale ei, Maysa în vârstă de nouă luni şi Maram de trei ani. Fratele lor, Abdullah, şi-a pierdut braţul stâng şi este încă spitalizat. Hayat al-Athamnah explică cum „am găsit capul Maramei la intrarea pe cărare şi corpul ei era la celălalt capăt.”

Mohammed al-Athmnah, vărul lui Saad şi Masoud al-Athmnah, s-a grăbit la faţa locului ca să sune după o ambulanţă. În schimb, i-au cărat trupul neînsufleţit şi cele ale celor cinci copii.

Hayat al-Athmnah a enumerat accidentele în timp ce soţul şi fiul lor, Abdul Mohaymen, se aflau într-un spital în Egipt în situaţie critică. Răniţi la spate şi la gât, au multe răni provocate de şrapnel. Braţul nepotului ei, Muhammad, a fost retezat şi a rămas mult timp pe jos, pe oribila cărare nisipoasă, până să vină cineva să-l ia. A spus „am văzut braţul lui Muhammad pe jos. L-am recunocut după ceasul care era încolăcit în jurul lui; şi mai ţinea un telefon mobil şi o poşetă .”

Sameh A. Habeeb este fotojurnalist, activist pentru pace si activist umanitar stabilit în Gaza, Palestina. Scrie independent pentru diferite website-uri de ştiri.”””


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: